Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Memories

I got up this morning just to see my children's faces before they left for school. You see I am the late sleeper in our house. I work outside the home and I don't have to be at work till 9:00, so that gives me some lazy time. I only work 7 miles from my job, no long commute, no traffic jams, no road rage, no quite time with God either like most people have that have a long drive to work. Just jump in the shower, brush my teeth, get dressed and leave. But our family had a wake up call last week, we lost a 10 year old cousin to leukemia. Did not know she was sick, the doctors were treating her for strep throat.



Our children are 16,20, and 24. Beau is our 16 year old and a sophomore in high school, Emily is the 20 year old she is a junior in college. I regret that I wasted alot of years sleeping in while they were growing up. My husband is a great man, he always got the children up and ready for school. When the girls were little I went to work at 7:00am and James didn't have to go to work until 8:30am. He brushed their hair and did pony tails. I must admit when school pictures came home I was a little disappointed in how the girls looked. No cute bows just plain pony tails. It wouldn't have done any good for me to fix their hair because when it came time to have pictures made it always seemed like it was right after recess.



Now I realize that I might not have these precious gifts tomorrow, I only have today and I have to make the most of it. My son wanted to know if every thing was alright (shocked I was up) and I told him yes that I just wanted to see him before he left for school. I do not want to miss another moment to be around my children because in the wink of an eye they both will be gone.

Our oldest daughter blessed us with 2 beautiful grandchildren, Lexi and Dalton and we don't get to see them every day but I will try and talk to them every day. They do live in the same town we live in, we are just busy with our son and the sports he is involved in.



Deuteronomy 4:9- 9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. God is telling the children of Israel to be obedient about keeping the laws. But don't you think this also can apply here. Keeping our eyes on our children. Teaching our children that we aren't guaranteed tomorrow and always live today as it could be your last. ( Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today).We must remember what our eyes have seen, our children's smiling faces, pouting faces, angry eyes and those I'm sorry looks. Parents if you only have small children don't think for one minute that they don't have all of these expression, they do.

Yes those little ones get on your nerves, as the saying goes when they are little they stomp on your toes and as they get older they stomp on your heart. My toes have healed as is my heart. I read a bumper sticker the other day that said "Grandchildren are a reward for not killing you children". I totally agree with that statement.


I will get up early tomorrow just to see their faces before they leave for the day, no matter how sleepy I am. I can sleep in when they have both left home.
Are you making memories? Not those earthquake kind, just the simple caught in the moment kind. Like the sunrise over the horizon out you kitchen window or a sunset at the beach. Or the hug you get from a 16 year old when you tuck him in bed at night and he says love ya mom sleep good see you tomorrow kind. Yes I still tuck my 16 year old in bed at night, how sweet is that!!!!!!!!!!!! Our goal in life is to raise them to be independent, self sufficient adults. It is so hard to let go when you still see them as your precious little ones.
Your sister in Christ
"K"

1 comment:

Marybeth Whalen said...

Hi Kay-- thanks for leaving me a comment and for bookmarking my blog! That is quite a compliment!!

I don't have many ideas for getting people to come to your blog other than to put it in the subject line of all your emails (a link they can click on) and you can put it in your Christmas card as well with a note "a great way to keep up with our family is through my blog!" And also tell people-- they will come if they know you have one.

Finally, leave comments-- that directs people back to you. Visit blogs you like and leave them a comment... that is a great way to drive traffic to your blog.

Hope this helps!